Punk rock evokes dissent and disruption, abrasive and anarchic musicality, and a host of countercultural aesthetics. Featuring original interviews and over one hundred images, Roots Punk: A Visual and Oral History by longtime music journalist and author David A. Ensminger focuses on how punk merged with roots music to create a rich style that incorporated honky-tonk, rockabilly, doo-wop, reggae, ska, jazz, folk, blues, and labor ballads. This engagement transformed the notion of punk to include a wide array of vintage source material that seems more aligned with bolo ties and Stetsons than Doc Martens and safety pins.
Ensminger explores the music’s aesthetics, traits, and themes. He contextualizes, clarifies, maps, and probes roots punk’s hybrid nature as well as its diverse, queer-inclusive, and multicultural strains. By painting a broad, nuanced, and well-documented picture of the genre from its earliest incarnation, he forms a kind of people’s history of the movement. Roots Punk features original interviews with members of Minutemen, MDC, the Dicks, the Plimsouls, Tex and the Horseheads, Dils/Rank and File, X, the Flesh Eaters, Beatnigs, Alejandro Escovedo, Robert “El Vez” Lopez, Blasters, and more.
Whether covering sarcastic novelty forms or sincere embraces, Ensminger reveals and revels in a punk tradition lined with blues records, acoustic ballads, country, and hillbilly romp. In a time of growing conformity, replication, and commercialization, roots punk (sometimes dubbed cow-punk) offers a tantalizing revitalization and reimagination of the American songbook.
"With thorough, enticing interviews and incisive commentary, Roots Punk offers an important counternarrative to standard histories of punk."
- David Pearson, author of Rebel Music in the Triumphant Empire: Punk Rock in the 1990s United States
"Roots Punk takes readers into new areas of punk’s rich history, showing how rockabilly, raw rock ’n’ roll, and R&B inspired some of the most important punk bands in the US and abroad."
- Daniel Makagon, author of Underground: The Subterranean Culture of DIY Punk Shows
Grammy Nominated Singer-Songwriter's Sixteenth Solo Album! - On 16th solo album Doctor Moan, triple Grammy-nominated singer-songwriter Peter Case channels spirits of jazz, blues, and boogie-woogie into exquisitely nuanced expressions. Released by Sunset Blvd Records, Case's first piano-based release is sonically sparse yet emotionally rich, capturing the peak of both his songcraft and voice with an organic authenticity rare in the digital age. "I try to take things I love and use them in a new way," mulled Case. I grew up on 1950s and 60s rock & roll and folk. I learned how to play blues here in San Francisco, out on the street, and then was part of the punk rock movement It's all still in there; it's my musical DNA. Hopefully it opens up peoples hearts and let's them feel emotions that they want to feel but don?t usually have, he concluded. And a lot of them are focused on surviving in this world now, so hopefully the warmth of companionship and comfort, too.
• The event is free to attend! ⠀⠀⠀⠀
• Free posters for attendees ⠀⠀⠀
• Enter to win raffle 𝘈 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘯𝘪𝘤𝘦 𝘱𝘳𝘪𝘻𝘦 🤌⠀⠀⠀⠀
• Free refreshments ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
𝗥𝗲𝗮𝗱 𝗠𝗼𝗿𝗲 𝗔𝗯𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝗥𝗲𝗹𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗲‼️⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Current ACM Entertainer of the Year, Chris Stapleton, is set to release his 5th Studio Album- Higher. The album will include 14 songs, including the first single-“White Horse”. ⠀⠀⠀⠀
Produced by Dave Cobb, Morgane Stapleton, and Stapleton, Higher was recorded at Nashville’s RCA Studio A. Across its 14 songs, Stapleton showcases his supernatural voice and musical versatility with songs that span genres and defy easy categorization.
• The event is free to attend! ⠀⠀
• Free posters for attendees (75)⠀
• Stickers for trading the four different designs ⠀
• Enter to win raffle⠀⠀
• Free refreshments ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
𝗥𝗲𝗮𝗱 𝗠𝗼𝗿𝗲 𝗔𝗯𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝗥𝗲𝗹𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗲‼️⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Danse Macabre was inspired by a special Halloween show Duran Duran played in Las Vegas last year. The album boasts 13 songs, comprising three new tracks, a few theme-appropriate covers, and reimagined versions of some of Duran Duran’s own songs. ⠀⠀The title track is one of the new songs, with keyboardist Nick Rhodes saying it “celebrates the joy and madness of Halloween.”⠀⠀As for how the whole Danse Macabre album came about, Rhodes said, “The record metamorphosed through a pure, organic process, and not only was it made faster than anything since our debut album, it has also resulted in something none of us could have ever predicted. Emotion, mood, style, and attitude have always been at the heart of Duran Duran’s DNA. We search for light in the darkness and darkness in the light, and I feel we have somehow managed to capture the essence of all of that in this project.”⠀
𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗱 𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗱𝗲𝘁𝗮𝗶𝗹𝘀:👇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
1. Starting TODAY, Thursday, October 12th at 5 PM you can buy your copy of ‘Stone’ on our online store 👉(HERE) to get a wristband for the priority meet & greet signing after the performance —one wristband per item per person. 𝗕𝗼𝘁𝗵 𝗖𝗗 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗟𝗣 𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘀𝗶𝗼𝗻𝘀 𝘄𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝗯𝗲 𝗮𝘃𝗮𝗶𝗹𝗮𝗯𝗹𝗲.⠀⠀⠀
2. You 𝗱𝗼 𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 a wristband to attend the performance but time is limited so anyone with a wristband will get priority for the signing.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
3. 𝗜𝗡-𝗦𝗧𝗢𝗥𝗘 𝗣𝗜𝗖𝗞-𝗨𝗣 𝗢𝗡𝗟𝗬 for the event. No shipping. 𝗔𝗹𝗹 𝗼𝗻𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗲 𝗼𝗿𝗱𝗲𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘄𝗿𝗶𝘀𝘁𝗯𝗮𝗻𝗱𝘀 𝗰𝗮𝗻 𝗯𝗲 𝗽𝗶𝗰𝗸𝗲𝗱 𝘂𝗽 𝗼𝗻 𝗦𝗮𝘁𝘂𝗿𝗱𝗮𝘆, 𝟭𝟬/𝟮𝟭/𝟮𝟯, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝗱𝗮𝘆 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗿𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗮𝘁 𝟭𝟬 𝗔𝗠! ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
4. 𝗡𝗢 𝗣𝗛𝗢𝗡𝗘 𝗢𝗥𝗗𝗘𝗥𝗦!⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
5. Capacity is limited. So don’t miss out on this intimate event. 𝗕𝗮𝗿𝗼𝗻𝗲𝘀𝘀 𝘄𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝗯𝗲 𝗱𝗼𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗮 𝗳𝘂𝗹𝗹 𝘀𝗵𝗼𝘄 𝗹𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗮𝘁 @𝗛𝗢𝗕𝗛𝗼𝘂𝘀𝘁𝗼𝗻 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗦𝘄𝗲𝗲𝘁 𝗢𝗯𝗹𝗶𝘃𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗧𝗼𝘂𝗿! ⠀⠀⠀
6. Free refreshments provided
𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗱 𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗱𝗲𝘁𝗮𝗶𝗹𝘀:👇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
1. Starting, Saturday, October 7th, you can buy your copy of ‘What Matters Most‘ on our online store 👉(HERE) to get a wristband to attend the event—one wristband per item per person. 𝗕𝗼𝘁𝗵 𝗖𝗗 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗟𝗣 𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘀𝗶𝗼𝗻𝘀 𝘄𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝗯𝗲 𝗮𝘃𝗮𝗶𝗹𝗮𝗯𝗹𝗲.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
2. 𝗜𝗡-𝗦𝗧𝗢𝗥𝗘 𝗣𝗜𝗖𝗞-𝗨𝗣 𝗢𝗡𝗟𝗬 for the event. No shipping. 𝗔𝗹𝗹 𝗼𝗻𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗲 𝗼𝗿𝗱𝗲𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘄𝗿𝗶𝘀𝘁𝗯𝗮𝗻𝗱𝘀 𝗰𝗮𝗻 𝗯𝗲 𝗽𝗶𝗰𝗸𝗲𝗱 𝘂𝗽 𝗼𝗻 𝗧𝘂𝗲𝘀𝗱𝗮𝘆, 𝟭𝟬/𝟭𝟳/𝟮𝟯, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝗱𝗮𝘆 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗿𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗮𝘁 𝟭𝟬 𝗔𝗠! ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
3. 𝗡𝗢 𝗣𝗛𝗢𝗡𝗘 𝗢𝗥𝗗𝗘𝗥𝗦!⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
4. Capacity is limited. So don't miss out on this sweet hang with one of our favorite musicians. 𝗕𝗲𝗻 𝗙𝗼𝗹𝗱𝘀 𝘄𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝗯𝗲 𝗽𝗲𝗿𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗺𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗹𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗮𝘁 𝗕𝗮𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗠𝘂𝘀𝗶𝗰 𝗖𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗳𝗼𝗿 #WhatMattersMostTour! ⠀⠀⠀
5. Free refreshments provided ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Houston, you are invited to a listening event for #GucciMane’s new album on its official release date of 𝗙𝗿𝗶𝗱𝗮𝘆, October 13th! ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
‘Breath of Fresh Air’ Listening Party⠀⠀⠀
Friday,October 13th, 2023 ⠀
• Enter to win a Gucci Mane T-shirt
• Enter to win a Branded Breath Mint Tube
• Enter to win an Exclusive LP Plastic Sleeve⠀
• Attendees will receive an event poster⠀
• Free refreshments provided ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
𝗥𝗲𝗮𝗱 𝗠𝗼𝗿𝗲 𝗔𝗯𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝗥𝗲𝗹𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗲‼️⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Gucci Mane releases his new album 'Breath Of Fresh Air' on 10/13. Widely regarded as one of the most influential rappers of the past decade, Gucci Mane has more top 10 albums on Billboard's "Top Rap Albums" chart than any other hip-hop artist in history. Along with new releases from Gucci Mane himself, the seasoned A&R has taken his eye for the next big thing to his own record label, The New 1017, in partnership with Atlantic Records. The New 1017 showcases Gucci's platinum-certified A&R skills with a roster that includes BiC Fizzle, Big Scarr, BigWalkDog, Enchanting, Foogiano, Hotboy Wes, KATO2X, LI Rye, Lil Zay, Mac Critter, Pooh Shiesty, Sett, and TLE Cinco.⠀
The Wheel Workers are a Houston-based band that combines the social consciousness of The Clash and Fugazi with musical influences like The Flaming Lips, The Decembrists, REM, The Shins, and Arcade Fire.
The Wheel Workers can be described as less of a singular band and more of a Texas-based underground indie music collective that spans two decades and more than 15 contributing members.
The group is currently composed of lead singer, guitarist, keyboardist, violinist Steven Higginbotham (the longest standing member and group founder), guitarist and keyboardist Craig Wilkins, keyboardist and singer Erin Rodgers, bassist Zeek Garcia and drummer Kevin Radomski. Their latest project, “Harbor,” released August 2022, was recorded over the span of a three year period (interrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic and the fact that Higginbotham was in law school while recording) in Higginbotham’s home recording studio. It also comes after Higginbotham fractured his larynx and thought he would never sing again. Now, nearly three years after the fracture, Higginbotham feels stronger vocally, due to all the work he put in during speech therapy and tailored voice lessons. The record was produced and mixed by their long-time pal, acclaimed producer Dan Workman, who helped shape and craft the songs into their final form, creating a record that showcases the band’s eclectic underground indie rock prowess with fuzzy guitars and synthesizers.